College student authors book on cheating

By Julie Listek

Cheating has been a part of college life in the past and today it continues even more with the help of a new book giving tips on the how-to’s of cheating.

Michael Moore, a 24-year-old journalism major at Rutgers University in New Jersey, gives his advice on this controversial issue in his new paperback book, “Cheating 101: The Benefits and Fundamentals of Earning the Easy A.”

Moore, who published the book himself, offers his advice on achieving good grades and high test scores without studying.

“It is understood between students that cheating is reality,” Moore said in a Jan. 9 Rockford Register Star article. “It has been here in the past and it will be here in the future.”

But NIU English Professor Susan Deskis said, “He (Moore) leaves out that probably about 99 percent of those who cheat don’t get away with it.”

Deskis said she does not have a strong feeling toward the publication because the cheating process will not work in the long run.

She said she thinks cheating will continue in the future, but that still does not make cheating a good idea. “People who put more effort to subvert the education system rather than embrace it tend not to do as well in the long run anyway.”

Journalism Department Chairman Donald Brod said he doesn’t think the book’s sales will be very high. “I don’t think it will sell well because cheaters think they have already figured out the system.”

But despite Brod’s opinion, the book, which sells for $7, has been a big seller with college students.

Brod added he does not support Moore counseling people on how to cheat, but said if he is not breaking any laws through the publication of the book, then he can publish it.

Brod said he has not been aware of any cheating—at least not in the journalism department. “Any type of cheating will result in an ‘F’ in the course. In the last 15 years, I haven’t had to do this.”