Students name their favorite “hotspots”

By Sean McClellan

Even if it is below zero outside, there are a few spots in DeKalb that are always hot, according to a poll of NIU students.

Students on campus were surveyed by 22_year_old entrepreneur Scott Smith and MasterCard International to decide what spots were their favorite.

Among the most popular were Amnesia, C.G. Whiliker’s, Lukulo’s, McCabe’s, Molly’s, Paradise Club, Reilly’s and The Jungle. These businesses were asked to participate in a special program that offers discounts to college students.

Special “hot-spots” t_shirts were imprinted with the names and logos of the selected establishments.

Businesses who participate give discounts to students on food, non-alcoholic beverages, cover charges or other services.

Marianne Fulgenzi of MasterCard International explained how the surveys were conducted.

She said Smith surveyed NIU students on their favorite places, and the most popular were asked to participate in the program.

After the businesses were ranked, she said, Smith went to the establishments to ask if they would want their business on the t_shirt.

Keith Kendrick, senior marketing vice president, MasterCard International, said the program was designed with college students in mind.

“This program reflects our commitment to college students, by providing them added value for the way they really live—in this case, real savings at the places they enjoy most,” he said.

Students can purchase a t_shirt from either Alpha Kappa Lambda, Delta Sigma Pi or Delta Upsilon fraternities.