NIU’s annual Community College Student and Faculty Invitational Exhibition to be held in January

Courtesy of NIU

Art, created by Liam Dee from William Rainey Harper College, from the 2022 NIU Community College Student and Faculty Invitational Exhibition.

By Caleb Johnson, Lifestyle Writer

The NIU School of Art and Design’s annual Community College Student and Faculty Invitational Exhibition is coming on Jan. 15, 2023. The exhibit will be open to the public, with the student exhibition being held online and available 24/7. The faculty exhibit will take place in the Annette and Jerry Johns Student Art Gallery, located in Jack Arends Hall.

The gallery will be open for the faculty exhibit 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday through Friday. 

The exhibition is still accepting submissions until Jan. 8. You may submit your work online through the NIU School of Art and Design. To be considered for this invitational, you must be an active student or faculty member of an Illinois community college. 

Any 2D or 3D art forms may be considered for the exhibition. For faculty art, the work must be able to be displayed in the gallery. 2D art may not exceed 48 inches by 96 inches. 3D art may not exceed 3 feet by 3 feet by 6 feet. Students may submit two artworks, while faculty may only submit one. 

Participation is free, but all artists must sign a loan agreement. Student entries must include a digital image in .jpeg or .pdf format with a size of 1900 pixels by 1080 pixels with 200 dpi. Only one image is required for submission. 

According to John Siblik, associate professor of art and gallery coordinator, the student portion will have a juror decide which art will be displayed. This year, the juror is Suzanne C. Thomas, a professor and mixed media artist from Rose State College. 

There will be a virtual reception held for student entries on Feb. 1. An in-person reception will be held for all entries from 2 p.m. to 4 p.m. on Feb. 2 in the Jack Arends Hall. 

To find out more information, contact John Siblik at [email protected] or 815-753-5223.