University gears up for final exam cheaters

By Jami Peterson

As final exams roll in and procrastinators try to catch up, some might feel cheating is the only answer.

But although the stress of exam week can sometimes be overbearing, cheat sheets and wandering eyes are not a way to relieve the sweat.

Judicial Office Director Larry Bolles said his office and all faculty members will be cracking down on final exam cheaters this year, and a wandering eye could lead to suspension and even expulsion from NIU.

“There’s an all-alert bulletin for cheaters this year,” he said. “It’s not worth the price of getting caught.”

The faculty has figured out all the little cheating avenues students try to take, and has double-checked every alternative to studying, he said.

“We’re geared up for the cheaters,” Bolles said.

Jack Bennett, a retired biological sciences professor, said he has seen cheaters before and knows cheating never pays off.

“Students who cheat are probably always going to cheat and they cheat themselves in the long run,” Bennett said.

Associate physics professor Ralph Benbow said students have cheated in his class, but cheating hasn’t been a major problem because he mainly deals with upper-class and graduate students.

“Interestingly, the students I caught didn’t do as well as the rest of the class,” he said.

Some students also want to join the faculty crusade against cheaters.

Sophomore Tina Tsonis said she doesn’t think cheating is worth the price of getting caught. “Your whole schooling career could be based on that one time you get caught,” she said.

Junior Adam Andres said students who cheat are not being fair to the students who study. “We work hard to study, and they get a better grade than us,” he said.