Holiday sparks campus thefts

By Jami Peterson

While some students are home singing carols and drinking egg nog, thieves might be picking their locks and prancing through their apartment windows.

As Christmas break rolls around, students are concerned with eating real food and sleeping all day—not with whether their televisions and stereos will be there when they return.

But Judicial Office Director Larry Bolles said making sure apartments are locked and valuables are hidden should be a top priority.

“The last couple of years it (theft) has been bad,” Bolles said, adding apartments on Greek Row seem to be hit the worst.

He said he believes a group of people wait for Christmas break to come around and then spring into empty apartments.

“I think there is an element in local communities that visit during the year and look around, then come back during break (to rob apartments),” he said. “It’s like clockwork.”

Students should bring expensive items home with them if possible and someone should check the apartment periodically during the break. Thieves even will come on Christmas day, Bolles said.

“If you have things of value take them with you,” he said.

Seniors Bill Espinos and Pat Clisham, who live in an apartment on Greek Row, said they will not be taking any chances this year.

“I’ve heard a lot of stories,” Espinos said. “I’m basically trying to take anything valuable back home.”

Clisham said he is also very aware of the chance for theft over Christmas break. “I don’t want to take any risks.”

Bolles said students living in residence halls don’t have to worry quite as much, because theft has never been a major problem there. “We beef up our (residence hall) security,” he said.

Stevenson Towers North Director Donna Frary said the security will be on the ball like they have been every other year at this time. “In general, I feel that it’s (leaving residence halls over break) safe,” she said.

Members of residence hall security will walk the halls on the lookout for prowlers, and all the doors will be locked, Frary said.