Arevalo to discuss student activist reality

By Brian W. Vaszily

The price of student activism is high in El Salvador, as Angelica Arevalo will relate on Wednesday at NIU.

“All university students are the same garbage” was the note the El Salvadorian death squads attached to the mutilated body of Angelica’s best friend and fellow student activist, found dumped in a garbage can in April 1980.

Arevalo, also a student activist at the University of San Salvador at the time, received a threat to her life from the notorious FALANGE death squad a few days later. She narrowly escaped death when the military stormed the university, killing 30 people.

The United States government has been under fire by various activist organizations throughout the world for indirectly funding the killing in El Salvador by providing military aid to the government.

Arevalo, who fled El Salvador in August 1980, is now a U.S. Representative of the Farabundo Marti National Liberation Front (FMLN), deemed “the most powerful, best-organized rebel group in the hemisphere.” Among other undertakings, the group has sought peace for El Salvador through United Nations-supervised negotiations with the government.

As the official representative of the FMLN, Arevalo will be sharing information about her experiences, including her multiple returns to El Salvador. She also will discuss the recent accord reached in New York between the two sides, and suggest further “negotiations and prospects for peace and justice in El Salvador.”

Arevalo’s visit is being sponsored by the DeKalb Interfaith Network for Peace and Justice, who invite all students to the presentation on Wednesday, Nov. 6 at 7 p.m. in Room 506 at the Holmes Student Center.