ISU building sets example for NIU idea

By Megan Knowles

Illinois State University student leaders and administrators said they are pleased with the construction of a new building which is similar to the proposed NIU Student Life Center.

The Student Services Building at ISU will be completed by next summer. The three-story complex will house Student Health Service, Student Counseling Center, Student Body Board of Directors and other student organizations.

The building will cost $7 million, said Rick Kentzler, director of ISU facilities planning. The structure will be financed by bond revenues, but the effect on student fees is still unclear, said Jeff Ogren, ISU student Regent.

“The building was built primarily to consolidate these services into one building,” Kentzler said. “The advantage is that it frees up space on the quadrangle and allows other academic offices to use the freed-up space.”

The proposed Student Life Center at NIU would also relocate several campus organizatons into one building. In addition, it would give space to organizations that presently do not have offices.

Eddie Williams, vice president of Finance and Planning, is scheduled to ask for architectural design approval at the December Board of Regents meeting.

Some NIU offices have shown interest in a student life center. The Counseling and Student Development Center and the Career Planning and Placement Center at NIU have complained about cramped office space.

The NIU building would also cost nearly $7 million. Students would pay for the building through a yearly increase of approximately $35 in student fees.

NIU Student Association officials have questioned the need for the building at that price.

But Romney Ruder, ISU student body president, thought the ISU student building was a good idea.

“It opens up a lot more room for people and locates everything in the same central area,” Ruder said.

Judy Boyer, associate vice president for Student Affairs at ISU, agreed. She said the Student Services Building would be helpful for students.

The Health Service will have more room and they will be able to devise a larger waiting area, Boyer said.

“We were able to add a sixth physician and implement an appointment system,” Boyer said. “We are hoping that 90 to 95 percent of the patients will be via appointment.”

Boyer said that the building will be modern and provide space for as many organizations as possible. However, she added, there is not space for everyone.