Project opposed

By Penny Rynberk

The NIU administration does not have the Student Association’s support for the Student Life Building to bring with them to the December Board of Regents meeting.

The senate passed a resolution presented by Senate Speaker Mike Starzec at Sunday’s meeting which opposes the continued planning for the project.

The resolution pointed out the administration’s neglect to provide background information about the project. It also revealed the lack of sufficient evidence demonstrating a need for the building and the opposition of the possible fee increase.

Eddie Williams, vice president of Finance and Planning, provided the senate with information about the project and collected input. “(The senate’s) input is very important and we will listen,” he said.

Starzec said it is symbolically important for the senate to take a stand on the issue and let the Board of Regents know how students feel.

“What we are requesting from the Board of Regents is to give the university the opportunity to bring in financial experts and architects to do the analysis,” Williams said. “We can get the full impact of the cost of the building and what it really means to fees.”

Dawn Cater, a member of the Student Life Building Committee in 1989, voiced her argument supporting the project.

“Career Planning and Placement just received two donated computers and they are sitting in boxes waiting to be used because there’s no place to put them,” Cater said.

The senate also yielded the floor to Jeannie Guillem, vice president of NIU College Republicans, who strongly opposes the project. “I propose that we put this up for referendum. Each and every person should be able to vote whether they want this or not,” she said.