Student fees to be reviewed

By Ken Goze

NIU President John La Tourette’s Fee Study Committee is gearing up to begin the annual review of student fees.

The 10-member board of students, faculty and administrators meets each year to consider requests from fee-supported groups such as the University Health Service, athletics and the Student Association.

Committee Chairman Donald Davidson said the committee is starting to plan meeting times and waiting for the appointment of some members.

Davidson said the committee will begin working and hold its first meeting sometime after Nov. 22, when groups turn in their requests.

The committee will consider each fee and present its final recommendations to La Tourette in mid-February. La Tourette then will make his recommendation to the Board of Regents.

The fees are calculated on a credit-hour basis, with all full- time students charged for 12 hours. Full-time students currently pay a total of about $295 per semester, about a third as much as tuition.

The highest fees per semester for full-time students are the Holmes Student Center fee, which supports bond repayment and operating costs for the center, at $72.24, and the Health Service fee, which provides comprehensive health care for students, at $52.20.