Stewart voted Huskie of the Week behind career performances

Eddie Miller

Freshman utility player Danielle “Dee Dee” Stewart won her second career Huskie of the Week award after posting two straight nine-strikeout games against the University at Buffalo. (Eddie Miller | Northern Star)

DeKALB – After posting a career-high nine strikeouts in two straight games against the University at Buffalo Bulls, freshman utility player Danielle Stewart claimed her second career Huskie of the Week honor.

In Game 1 of the weekend series with Buffalo, Stewart pitched a complete game. She finished with a statline of four hits, one earned run, two walks and nine strikeouts. 

Stewart also showed out at the plate, collecting two hits and an RBI in Game 1. The Huskies defeated the Bulls 3-2 on Saturday.

Stewart pitched another complete game against Buffalo on Sunday, fanning nine batters and allowing just two runs on six hits. She also drew a walk in the 6-2 Game 3 victory over the Bulls.

Stewart was chosen as the MAC Pitcher of the Week on March 28 and was voted as Northern Star’s Huskie of the Week for the week of March 20.

This week’s Huskie of the Week award will be the last of the 2022-2023 academic year.

The Northern Star Huskie of the Week is voted for on a weekly basis. Student-athletes considered for this week’s edition were chosen based on their weekly performance in competitions taking place from April 24 to April 30.