Student leaders honored

By Sheryl Cajka

Hard work pays off for remarkable NIU students who are active in organizations.

Every month a student is recognized by the University Programming and Activities staff for displaying outstanding leadership skills, said UP&A Associate Director Rick Clark.

Faculty advisers of any recognized organization can nominate an active candidate for ‘Student Leader of the Month’, he said.

Nominations are sent to the UP&A office, he said. At the beginning of each month, the UP&A staff decides which students to elect from the previous month.

Students who did not receive the title of ‘Student Leader of the Month’ can be nominated again, Clark said.

Student leaders receive certificates for their outstanding leadership skills, and can attend the leadership banquet at the end of the academic year, he said.

Clark said he advises organizations to keep nominating students and for students to work closely with their advisers.

The student leader elected in July was Diann Nails, who is active on the Campus Activities Board, Clark said.

During the summer she coordinated bands for summer programming and is now a coordinator for CAB Concerts in the Diversions lounge.

“It’s more inspiring when you get a little pat on the back,” she said.

The UP&A recognized two outstanding student leaders for the month of August.

As president of the Organization for Latin-American Students, Antonio Rios is responsible for making sure OLAS activities run smoothly.

ios said he was really shocked when he found out he was chosen.

“I didn’t expect it,” he said. “All the hard work paid off.”

ios said students should let their actions speak and be a positive role model to help develop their talents.

In addition to being the vice president for sorority rush this fall, Samantha Cotton, also chosen in August, is in the Greek Honor Society and has been involved in many community activities.

“It will make you grow within yourself, realize your values and prepare you for the real world,” she said.

The student leaders for September are Christina Kieckhefer, a member of Danca Quente and Charlene Goetz, president of the Illinois Collegiate Music Education Association.