NIU students invited to study in Austria

By Brian W. Vaszily

The director of Salzburg College visited several classes on Wednesday to introduce and answer questions about the European Studies program in Salzburg, Austria.

Ina Stegen said the Salzburg College/NIU program, which has been sending students to study in Austria for the past 20 years, is open to students who are at least a sophomore with a 2.7 GPA.

Areas of Salzburg studies include literature, economics, history, political science, business, communication, art and music.

A typical period of study in Salzburg is one semester, although Stegen recommends a full school year of study to experience the culture and learn the German language.

The classes are taught in English by Austrian professors whose style Stegen describes as “a little more formal, expecting more self-motivation, like reading books for interest instead of just assignment.”

NIU students stay with sponsor families in Salzburg, who are carefully chosen by Stegen to match the interests and lifestyles of students.

Also, many of the students and sponsor families keep in touch long after the program is through, Stegen said.

In the first week of the semester, all students go on a field trip to Germany. Excursions to Italy, Hungary, France and other European destinations are popular aspects of the program with the students throughout the year, Stegan said.

In addition to their studies, students spend their time sightseeing in the city (which Stegan said is described as one of the most culturally rich and beautiful in the world), attending soccer and skiing events and experiencing the nightlife, which Stegen said the students find plenty of.

The total cost of the program is $5,935 per semester, and all financial aid that applies for study here is normally acceptable for the program as well.

For further information on the program, contact Ines DeRomana, coordinator of the Foreign Studies Programs in Williston Hall Room 100, 753-0304.