SA funding discussed

By Penny Rynberk

Despite the increased number of early requests for Student Association supplemental funding, organizations don’t have to worry about the well going dry.

SA Treasurer Joe Kolerich said the Finance Committee will not have a problem fairly granting supplemental funds although there are a lot of early requests this year.

“It is my policy to make sure that supplemental funding is an expenditure that is taken care of in a consistent manner. It’s not a first come, first serve basis,” Kolerich said. “The Finance Committee operates in a fair timely (manner).”

The supplemental funding budget comes from student fees and must last for the fall, spring and summer semesters. This year, the SA received $40,000, which is $5,000 more than last year.

The Finance Committee and the senate approved five supplemental requests this semester. These include Campus Activities Board Homecoming Committee ($750.00), SA Recycling ($1439.20), Mainland Chinese Student Association ($307.25), Baseball Club ($891.60) and Black Student Union (238.45).

Kolerich said some funding requests aren’t granted because there is “a limited amount of supplemental funding and the Finance Committee has to keep within financial restraints,” he said.

The committee carefully scrutinizes every request that is presented to them, Kolerich said. The committee looks for requests that will benefit the populous of NIU.

“Organizations must take part in fund-raising,” Kolerich said. “This is one way of showing the senate they are actively participating and it is a worthy cause.

To officially request supplemental funding, an organization must be SA funded and has to submit a request to the SA Finance Committee stating the funding reasons. This request must include an itemized list of the requested funds.

“Supplemental funding isn’t just for the organization,” Kolerich said. “It’s to benefit the students of NIU.”