Circle K offers students chance to serve DeKalb

By Caryn Rosenberg

Students can service DeKalb by joining the circle.

Circle K is a co-ed service organization open to all majors interested in participating in the programs it offers.

“We try to offer a variety of programs for students,” said President Derek Sherman. “We teach people that helping around the community can be fun instead of a chore and try to give students an opportunity to learn practical public relations skills, leadership skills and communication skills.”

Members can also establish professional contacts through an affiliation with Kiwanis, whose members are business and professional people who can provide help with students making career decisions.

The organization holds fund-raising events and donates proceeds to research and rehabilitation for spastic paralysis.

“The only requirements are a $30 per year membership fee and the willingness and enthusiasm to help other people,” said Sherman.

Sherman said Circle K is a flexible group that is always open to new ideas.

“Most of the things we do are things that the members bring up, that they want to do, that they feel strongly about,” said Sherman.

Sherman said the group also has seasonal activities such as helping out at PADS (Public Action to Deliver Shelter), a local homeless shelter, and volunteering their time at soup kitchens during the Thanksgiving and Christmas seasons.

In addition, Circle K takes part in Kiwanis Peanut Day and does campus cleanup on a regular basis.

Circle K has approximately 10,000 members in seven countries. Members who decide to run for office can do so on a local, national or international level, according to Sherman.

An informational meeting sponsored by Circle K will be held on Tuesday, Sept. 10 from 9 to 10 p.m. at Cugini’s Pizza (formerly Rick’s Red Apple). Free pizza will be served.