Deadline approaching for voter registration

By Penny Rynberk

With the presidential primary elections approaching in the spring, now is a good time to register to vote in DeKalb county.

Nancy Marchiando, elections clerk for DeKalb county, said the deadline for voter registry, change of address or change of name is Oct. 7.

To be eligible to vote, a person must be 18 years old and show two forms of identification, one with their name, and one with their name and current address, Marchiando said.

There are many places to register in DeKalb, including various local banks, the County Clerk’s Office, the DeKalb Public Library and the Student Association office.

Marchiando said people can also register through student registrars. They include: SA Voter Register Chairman, Jordan Kagan; Joan Behr, also with the SA; and Joan Burke, with Resources for Latinos.

“It’s important at least for students to register in DeKalb,” said Kagan, who also is the 7th ward alderman. “They should register so they can have more power in the community.”

Marchiando said the number of students to register last year was “pretty good.” “Right now there’s a few hundred new ones in,” she said.

According to Kagan, about 1,000 students registered to vote last year. A great number of those students will have to go through the process to change either their address or name to be eligible to vote this year, he said.

To make the correct changes, the voter should fill out a change-of-address form at the County Clerk’s Office, 110 E. Sycamore St., Sycamore.

People can also change their information by mailing either their voter’s card with the corrections written on the back or a signed letter indicating the corrections to that office.

Marchiando said the Nov. 5 fall elections really don’t involve anything that “directly affects anybody here.”

“The elections mostly involve county referenda, regional school board of trustees and some community colleges,” she said.

Both Marchiando and Kagan said the presidential primaries in the spring will receive the most attention.