Overseas programs allow students to study abroad

By Julie Listek

NIU students have the opportunity to widen their cultural experiences and knowledge through NIU’s Foreign Study Program, a program designed for students to study abroad.

France, Austria, England, Spain, Mexico, Denmark and Japan are the most popular countries where NIU students study abroad, said Foreign Study Program Coordinator Ines Deromana.

NIU students can choose from 25 different countries to travel to during the academic school year, she said.

Although most programs require the student to be classified as a sophomore, very few programs only accept juniors or seniors. Approximately 200 students study abroad per semester, Deromana said.

Different programs have different requirements, but a ‘B’ average is required. Some of the classes abroad are offered in English, so not all of the programs require fluency in a foreign language, she said.

Foreign language and literature courses such as art history, economics, communication, history and political science are offered through the Foreign Study Program.

The classes are designed to meet general education requirements and are only for undergraduate credit.

“Many students who participate want to go (abroad) to experience the language and become fluent,” Deromana said.

The average cost for a semester is $5,000. But there is a summer program which is less expensive and costs $3400 or less.

Some prices may be higher because air fare is included in the cost, said Thecla Cooler, assistant director of the short-term overseas programs.

Approximately 235 students attend the summer overseas programs, said Ann Seitzinger, assistant program coordinator for the summer program.

The number of students attending the summer and academic year programs has been increasing, Cooler said. The summer program expects at least 260 to 270 students for the summer of 1992, she said.

Students who want to study overseas can apply for loans or financial aid. There is also a scholarship for students provided by the art department, Deromano said.

In addition to this, 250 new exchange students from 80 different countries come to NIU each year, Cooler said.

Most students come for a full degree and pay out-of-state tuition, which is three times the amount of the in-state tuition, she said.

“I think that our international studies are a very important part of campus life and bring diversity and variety to the campus,” Cooler said.

The programs are well-respected, Deromana said. “Students will get a chance to broaden their knowledge base and enhance their career goals through studying abroad.”