College students lack physical fitness

By Julie Listek

Becoming a teenage couch potato is an epidemic more prominent today because of television, eating habits and physical inactivity.

Studies have shown college students today are not as physically fit than in recent years, said Karin Volkwein, assistant professor in the physical education department. “T.V., eating habits and crash diets that may cause bulimia or anorexia are a main problem,” she said.

Fabian DeRozario, fitness and sports club coordinator, agreed. “Teens are not very fit because they don’t watch what they eat, like foods fried in oils and (they) become overweight.”

Inactivity and lack of sufficient student physical involvement in fitness activities is another problem, he said. “Physical education should start from middle school and go through life.”

Physical education programs do reach a lot of people, but the students need the incentive from high school to keep the interest, Volkwein said.

When children were young they were outside playing, now they sit in front of a television, said Randall Newsom, acting coordinator of NIU dance. “When you are more physically fit, you have better control of your body than a person who just sits on the couch.”

Programs such as aerobics, weight training, dance fitness, jogging and swimming for fitness are suggested activities for students to become involved in for physical fitness.

Enrolling in health classes is also recommended in order to learn the basic principles of eating and how to live a healthy lifestyle. “There are a lot of misconceptions about health. Fifty percent of the people, especially girls, have the wrong idea about weight control and controlling their diet. This is why classes are important,” Volkwein said.

Fitness Images Today (FIT) is a program offered that gives students, faculty and staff a well-rounded exercise program including the five basic components of physical fitness. “A proper diet, with low cholesterol and a good balance between fats, carbohydrates and protein in addition to exercising at a rhythmic pace for an extended period of time, like aerobics, is the best way to become physically fit, said Paul Krebs, director of FIT and Heart Rate program.

We need to start understanding fitness and working out, but we need teachers to start helping teens be aware, DeRozario said. “Teachers have to educate them about a healthy lifestyle and how this is recognized as an area of improvement,” he said.

“The number one cause of death is cardiovascular disease,” Krebs said. Working out three to five days a week for 15 to 60 minutes at 55 to 60 percent of maximal heart rate is the best way to reduce the risk of it, he said.

“If we had a better concept of how to stay physically fit the right way, then we wouldn’t be in such a medical crisis,” Volkwein said.

Reduction of hypertension, anxiety and depression, lower coronary heart disease risk, and an increase of good cholesterol are only a few long term effects of being physically fit, DeRozario said.

“It prolongs your life,” he said.