Counseling series to focus on college issues

By Tricia Roegner

The NIU Counseling and Student Development Center is offering a series of eight different programs this semester to help students deal better with college life.

Last year, the Counseling and Student Development Center offered only three programs. But because of their success, more programs are being offered this semester, including career development, men and relationships, and self-esteem.

Anna Beth Paine, associate director of the Counseling and Student Development Center, said she is very excited about these upcoming programs because they will benefit many NIU students.

“The mini-series programs will focus on topics that we’ve noticed are important issues for a large number of students at NIU,” Paine said.

By splitting the series up into a mini-series format, it gives participants in the program a better opportunity to explore the different topics in greater depth than would be possible in a single presentation, Paine said.

“The mini-series format lets the student join the group when they need to, although it would be in the student’s best interest to start the series at the beginning,” Paine said.

Paine also said they are excited about a mini-series program which will be taught by Shiraz Tata, a new member of the counseling team.

Tata will be teaching a program focusing on what it’s like being an international student at NIU.

The programs will be held at various locations on campus, including the University Resources for Women office, the International Student and Faculty office and the Counseling and Student Development office located in Swen Parson Hall.

Paine said she hopes all NIU students take advantage of these programs, because the Counseling Center is here to help the students who need it.

“The Counseling Center is a part of campus who understands and wants to hear about what is wonderful about college and what is not,” Paine said.

The mini-series format lets the student join the group when they need to, although it would be in the student’s best interest to start the series at the beginning.” Anna Beth Paine, associate director of Counseling and Student Development