Low voter turnout hurts SA elections

By Penny Rynberk

Lack of knowledge about the Student Association and of senator candidates might be the reason only 1 percent of the student body voted during yesterday’s senate elections.

A vote count taken at 5 p.m., one hour before the polls closed, concluded 365 students voted.

According to an informal student poll, students are uninterested in the SA senate because they are unaware of the body’s functions.

“Students think the senators just go to meetings. What they do and what they’re there for is still unknown. I think the SA should draft up some guidelines or a general sheet of their purpose and their duties,” said Vecia Madden, a senior journalism major.

Cindy Cowles, a junior communications major, said more SA publicizing would help students to “realize that the SA really concerns them and encourage them to take part in it.”

“I don’t think my lack of knowledge of the SA is anybody’s fault but my own,” said Donna Rooks, a senior nursing major. “It’s not the fault of the SA.”

Greg Leathers, SA campus welfare adviser, said he would like to “challenge students that know nothing about the SA to learn about the student government and how they can help.”

“Issues are being decided every day on this campus that directly affect every facet of a student’s life. Students have the opportunity to get involved if they want to.”

The poll also indicated students might have voted if they knew more about the senator candidates.

“I think that since I know some of the candidates, it will make it easier for me to vote,” Madden said.

Dr. Robert Suchner, associate professor of sociology, said, “A lot of the issue is students seeing that their support of specific candidates will make a difference.”

“I would guess that students would say they didn’t vote because they don’t know who the candidates are or what they stand for,” he said.

“The SA is doing a lot to outreach to students and make them aware of their rights and responsibilities to be active,” Leathers said. “Most streets in our city are two-way streets, including this one. If you really want something you have to go and seek it out.”

The total two-day voter turnout of last year’s elections yielded 4 percent of the student population.

Today is the last day students can vote to elect SA senators. Voting tables are located in DuSable, the library and the PowWow from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. A student ID is required for voter eligibility.