Ald. Polzin sets sights on community cohesiveness

By Julie Listek

Working for cohesiveness between the community and students is one of 1st Ward Ald. Amy Polzin’s goals.

“I think it is important and very necessary to keep the communication between the students and community,” Polzin said.

Devoting a minimum of 20 hours per week, Polzin already has prepared a tenant union handbook and a proposal for the Americans with Disabilities Act, both of which will be beneficial to the community and students, she said.

Polzin has many goals for her term in office. She would like to see the community grow economically and have environmental awareness. “The DeKalb County Recycling is doing a marvelous job,” she said. She also would like to see more child care facilities constructed and have the Metro train come to DeKalb.

There is a lot of growth potential for DeKalb if the train comes here, she said.

In addition, she would like to see many more activities come about, especially recreational programs for the community and students.

Looking forward to meeting everyone on the board, she would like to run for re-election in 1995. However, in 1991, she was very disappointed in the voting turnout. “It really worries me. I think we owe it to ourselves to be informed and to vote,” she said.

“It has been very interesting and I am looking forward to getting out and meeting everybody in the ward,” she said.