SA seeks students to serve as senators

By Penny Rynberk

Attention, NIU students, Student Association senate elections are next month. Do you have what it takes to be a senator?

“We’re looking for students that are very motivated and proud to be NIU students,” said John Quilico, SA vice president. “We want them to address those issues that are indicative of their reasons for their NIU pride.”

Quilico said all NIU students, not just “traditional students,” are encouraged to petition to be a senator. “Any student is eligible … graduate students, law students, commuting students.”

Quilico said he would like to see more freshmen get involved because they would promote continuity in the senate and lasting policy changes.

“The administration has had the advantage of continuity because they’re here for more than four years,” Quilico said.

There are a total of 40 senate seats, Quilico said. These seats are divided between five districts, with eight senators per district, he said.

“A candidate can petition for the district in which he resides,” Quilico said. “However, students can vote for any district, no matter where they reside.”

Quilico said only 100 signatures will be required on the petitions this year, compared to 200 required on last year’s petitions.

“Senators help organizations by providing them with SA funding,” Quilico said. “They also act as representatives of the student government.”

“Senators take stands on issues that affect the student body and, in a sense, act as administrative watchdogs,” he said. “They more or less become the crusaders for student interests.”

Quilico said he believes there are many benefits to gain from being a senator.

“(Being a senator) is an excellent opportunity to gain some valuable experience in managing and allocating a budget,” Quilico said. “This is applicable to one’s personal finances or a potential career in the business world.

“I’ve also heard of instances in which former senators were able to land a job in the financial world due to their participation in budget allocating,” he said.

Parliamentary procedure also is valuable experience a senator will gain, Quilico said. “It is how most professional meetings are run,” he said.

“However, being a senator is not just a resume builder, it is an opportunity to give something back to the NIU community,” he said.

Quilico said along with the professionalism, being a senator is an enjoyable experience. “We’re going to have a lot of fun this year,” he said.

Senator responsibilities include allocating the $850,000 student budget in student activity fees and participating on one of the advisers’ committees, Quilico said.

“A good senator will attend the senate meeting on Sunday night, attend their committee meeting and volunteer as much time as it takes to address the issues at hand,” Quilico said.

The SA has a few expectations for the incoming senators. “We expect a greater number of students actively participating in the student government,” Quilico said.

“Even if they are not a senator, we want students to utilize the senators from their district,” he said.

“This year we would like to see an active senate that will stand tough on issues,” he said. “We don’t want them to be afraid to challenge the administration when there is a policy in question.”

Quilico said there will be a meeting for all interested students on Sept. 5 at 7 p.m. in Room 406 at the Holmes Student Center.

“At the meeting, we will pass out petitions, explain the functions of the senate and how the bylaws operate,” Quilico said. “There also will be former senators there to discuss their views regarding what a senator should be.”

“It also is a good chance to check out the competition and meet other students who are running,” Quilico said.

The petitions are available in the SA office, second floor of the student center and must be returned there by 4:30 p.m. on Sept. 13.

Quilico said all NIU students will be able to vote in the Sept. 18 and 19 senate elections.