Fraternity exhibits academic excellence

By Laura Nowak

GNow that Mom and Dad are not around to dole out money for good grades, an NIU fraternity is willing to take the parents’ place.

Phi Sigma Kappa has the highest GPA on Greek Row, said President Tom Goetz. The fraternity’s 2.72 GPA also is higher than the all men’s average on campus, he said. The GPA figures do not include Spring semester.

Every semester the members with the highest and the most improved GPAs are rewarded with $200, Philanthropy Chairman Rich Shippy said. Members with a minimum 3.5 receive $100 and $50 for a minimum 3.0, he said.

Shippy said eight of the approximately 87 members are honor students. Honor students encourage other members to take honors classes also, he said.

Shippy attributes their academic success to several factors.

“Phi Sigma Kappa promotes scholarship by rewarding members for achieving excellence in scholastics,” Shippy said.

The fraternity’s Rush system also contributes to their high GPA. They eliminated the pledge program and initiate men who show the most motivation and involvement during an extended Rush, Shippy said.

Students with a high GPA are more likely be accepted in the fraternity, and are encouraged to maintain good grades after initiation, Shippy said.

During the week, the men attend the library in teams, Shippy said. “We encourage the rushees to come out to the library also,” Shippy said.

Members with the same major act as “study buddies” to motivate each other, he said. The fraternity also keeps paper and test files for reference, he said.

Phi Sigma Kappa also is active in community service and campus organizations. The fraternity recently won an outstanding chapter award from their grand chapter, Shippy said.

Scholarship Chair Andy Voss said Phi Sigma Kappa’s main purpose is to “promote brotherhood, stimulate scholarship, and develop character.”