UPs advise students to take safety precautions

By Caryn Rosenberg

NIU students need to be more cautious to take a bite out of campus crime.

University Police Lt. Ken Kaiser said everyone is in a hurry at this time of year, and adequate safety precautions are not always taken.

“University Police are always concerned that people walk in a lighted area and that they alert someone if they see anything unusual or if someone is following them,” Kaiser said.

Kaiser said there are 17 call boxes located throughout the campus students can use in case of an emergency and all but one are attached to light poles so they can be more easily identified.

Students should also be aware of the ongoing problem with incidents involving motor vehicles, Kaiser said.

“This past weekend did see an increase of burglary or theft in the parking lots,” Kaiser said. “There were several incidents of people going to their cars and finding they have been burglarized or (had) something stolen off of it.”

Kaiser said parking lot incidents tend to increase on the weekends because of individuals coming back from bars or parties and non-student visitation.

“These are two reasons, but nothing has been pinned down to one or the other,” Kaiser said.

To avoid possible burglary, Kaiser suggests students should avoid purchasing expensive car stereos, cellular phones and other expensive equipment.

Kaiser said students in residence halls should take precautions as well and always lock their doors and windows, even when they go to the bathroom.

There are always people walking the halls, looking for an open invitation and an open door,” Kaiser said.

Several pamphlets are distributed to students in the residence halls, including tips on residence hall security and personal responsibilities,” Residence Hall Director Rose Ann Fazio said.

In addition, Fazio said signs are hung in the residence halls warning students not to walk alone and to carry their keys and IDs at all times.

The residence halls also enforce the rule that all guests must be escorted by a resident and warn residents to call a resident assistant if they see someone strange on their floors.

Stevenson South resident Katherine Kong said the crime prevention information she received from the residence hall was helpful.

“It reminded you to check your door before you leave and look around the parking lot and things like that,” Kong said.

Grant North resident Julie Pielin said the information was a good reminder.

“It was just basic stuff that we already knew, but I guess they just wanted to drill it through our heads,” Pielin said.