Students might face delays

By Laura Nowak

Students returning to NIU this month might be delayed by road construction.

The Illinois State Toll Highway Authority began rehabilitation on the East-West Tollway Tuesday, said Sari Mintz, manager of public relations.

The construction on the 69-mile extension from Aurora to Rock Falls is expected to be completed in November, Mintz said.

During the construction one lane in each direction will be closed, and construction zones will vary in length from 5 to 10 miles, Mintz said. Speed limits have been reduced to 45 m.p.h., she said.

Although the construction leading to DeKalb might cause delays, construction inside DeKalb might not pose a problem for returning students.

Daryl Stienstra, district construction engineer at the Illinois Department of Transportation in Dixon, said the construction at Route 38 and Annie Glidden Road should be completed before NIU opens for the fall semester.

The construction began in the spring of 1990 to remove contaminated soil in underground tanks, Stienstra said.

DeKalb area construction projects that will begin this fall include Route 23 from Sycamore Road to Taylor Street, he said.

Denise Rode, associate director of Admissions and Orientation, said students should leave ample travel time when returning to the DeKalb area.

NIU transportation manager Bill Finucane said every student moving into a residence hall will receive an information packet which includes a route map.

Traffic problems on Aug. 21, the day the residence halls open, will be alleviated with road signs directing students into their particular hall, Finucane said. Two information booths, one on the tollway and another in Lot O north of married student housing, also will be provided on move-in day.