Stress adds weight to freshman pounds

By Jean Dobrzynski

Freshman Grant Miller is aware of the notorious “freshman 15” everyone warns about, but he isn’t worrying too much about it.

“Actually, I probably eat better here than I did at home,” he said. “At home, I usually ate Doritos until I passed out.”

But students concerned about their weight shouldn’t worry too much, because it’s natural for people to gain weight after they come to school, said NIU nutrition professor Ellen Parham.

“When a student eats in the cafeteria he pays in advance, so he’s not concerned with how much he eats…but it’s only because he’s stressed,” she said. “The food is a new experience, and with no parental supervision, that leaves a lot of choices to be made … people eat because it’s there and they want their money’s worth.”

But sophomore Nicole Craun said it wasn’t the cafeteria food that caused her to gain 10 extra pounds last year at NIU.

“I think freshmen should go and eat in the cafeteria more often because the food is crummy and you don’t eat as much,” she said. “It’s the midnight snacks and ordering out for pizza that caused me to gain.”

Director of the Counseling and Student Development Center Kathy Hotelling said ordering out for food is a big part of a student’s social life, but with a little common sense and exercise, everything can be kept under control.

“It’s an anxious time at college and food is a comfort … we use it to push down our feelings,” she said. “With 20 to 25 minutes of good exercise, students should be able to maintain their weight,” Hotelling said.

Exercise is the key for freshman Laura Niesman, who is determined to stay clear of the “freshman 15.”

“I remember my high school P.E. instructor used to tell us about it,” she said. “I think this campus is big enough where people can walk around and get exercise.”

NIU Health Center director Rosemary Lane agreed with her.

“Stay away from the late night pizzas and sugar-filled pop,” she said. “You have to exercise good judgment when you are deciding what to eat as well as your body.”

otelling also warned about the dangers of eating disorders which can occur when someone is preoccupied with their weight.

“For some, joking about their weight is funny, but some people do extremely dangerous things to their bodies to stay thin,” she said. “People need to remember that at stress points people do gain weight, but it’s not the end of the world.”