Trio of rookies make early mark

By Jennifer Hutchins

What is the secret to producing veteran-level athletes out of freshman recruits?

First, make them forget they are “amateurs.” Second, make sure they feel comfortable. And finally, get them out on the court as soon and as much as possible.

Head volleyball coach Pete Waite appears to have gotten the formula down pat. Last year’s 26-8 season that included a tie for the best North Star Conference record (6-1) was accomplished by a starting lineup that included four freshmen.

One of those freshmen, Becky Ramsey, was named to the Second-Team All-North Star Conference, and is the current team captain as a sophomore.

This season, NIU’s rookie recruits appear to be headed in the same direction.

The newcomers for 1991 are 6-0 outside hitter/middleblocker, Joyce Book (St. Louis, MO/Bishop DuBourg), 5-9 left-side hitter Danielle Gerenz (Eagan, MN/Rosemount), and 5-6 setter Shelby Snyder (Fountain Valley, CA).

Success is not new to the group. All-state honors were plentiful among the three athletes as seniors in high school. Book was named to Missouri’s Second-Team Regional All-State, Gerenz was voted to Minnesota’s First-Team All-State, and Snyder was named as a member of the Second-Team All-California.

Although Waite expects all three to see playing time, Snyder has been guaranteed a spot on the starting lineup. Last year’s starting setter, Shauna Campbell, did not return this season, which left Snyder holding the reigns.

“I’m glad I came into a program where I could start as a freshman,” Snyder said. “I just needed to get comfortable with the team before I knew I could really do it.”

Snyder was discovered by Waite during a recruiting trip to California last year and of all the setters he watched play, Waite felt Snyder was the one who would fit in best on the Huskies’ team.

“It was her personality. She was a good leader, a good student, and above all—her skills fell in with our program,” Waite said. “She has a lot of court sense and I felt she could take charge of the team.”

Meanwhile, Waite expects Book and Gerenz to compliment Snyder’s setting skills with their own talent as outside hitters.

“The two of them (Book and Gerenz) will definitely see playing time and will contribute—if not start for the team,” Waite added.

It was her personality. She was a good leader, a good student, and above all—her skills fell in with our program.”