Pamphlet highlights women’s contributions

By Jean Dobrzynski

Even after 10 years, the NIU Women’s Studies Program is as busy as ever acquainting students with the contributions of women in society.

An update of the WSU’s publication, “About Women,” was recently printed. The pamphlet contains excerpts from some NIU faculty and staff who have done research and printed publications on matters related to women.

For instance, mathematical science Professor Linda Sons has done research on women’s participation in mathematics at the graduate level.

Sons said the traditional male dominance in math classes is a cultural phenomenon that is about to change, and NIU is on the forefront of this change.

“We are at about 50 percent males and 50 percent females when it comes to the master’s level of mathematics,” she said. “This is a very high percentage when we look at other universities around the country,” Sons said.

“NIU is different, we are a leader,” Sons said.

Sons said she feels NIU has the edge over other schools because the NIU faculty and the women’s program on campus have deliberately worked towards it.

Guy Senese, leadership and educational policy studies assistant professor, also has been doing research concerning the “Challenger” shuttle disaster and an examination of Christa McAuliffe’s participation.

His research raises issues related to the feminization of teaching and women’s unique role in the teacher workforce.

“Overall, I feel the ‘About Women’ publication is a very good idea,” he said. “It gave me a good overview of what other people were doing research in.”

Kathy Hotelling, director of the Counseling and Student Development center, has high hopes for the study of women on campus. Hotelling also chairs the Presidential Commission on the Status of Women.

Last year, the commission decided to publish an update every four years, hoping it would be used to draw more staff to NIU who have an interest in women’s studies.

Hotellling hopes “About Women” encourages others at NIU to further express their own interests in the study of women and to meet other people around campus who have similar interests.