SA continues to support MLK sculpture

By Rebecca Bahr

The Martin Luther King sculpture project still will receive Student Association support, although some senators feel funding the art is misrepresenting the students they serve.

Fewer than 15 students showed up at Sunday’s SA meeting to discuss funding of the sculpture, “Balance of Equality,” which has received widespread attention since its approval April 4.

Students upset about the chosen sculpture met with Eddie Williams, vice president for Finance and Planning, several times last week to discuss the judging process and were expected to bring their views to the SA.

However, SA senators and several students who had opposed the sculpture last week all said they would not support any motion to withdraw student money from the project.

“We must stand behind our decision,” said Sen. Henry Treftz. “We have a moral and legal agreement, and as adults, we must take responsibility for our actions.”

More than $25,000 in outside funds already were collected by alumni and corporate donation to fund the project, Williams said. “We made a commitment as a university campus,” he said.

Williams also said that the King sculpture competition was run extremely professionally with judges having some of the highest credentials in the arts in the nation.

Richard Hunt, a judge in the competition, has been a trustee for Chicago’s Modern Art Museum, a founder and member of a long list of art associations and a commissioner of the National Art Museum as well as others.

Sen. Richard Parkman said students are being forced to pay for the sculpture. “The Bursar puts an encumbrance on our account if we don’t pay the fees,” Parkman said. The sculpture fee should have been made refundable, he said.

Robert Hatcher, a former SA minority relations adviser, said he was in the SA in 1984 when the name change for the commons first was proposed.

Hatcher said although he does not like the judges’ choice, the students should be proud that a representation of King and his beliefs finally will be installed on this campus.

“This campus has had its share of racial troubles, and probably still does,” Hatcher said.

“We cannot be art critics,” Treftz said. “I’m impressed that people who were upset by the decision decided to work together to come to a solution.”

Sen. Mike Starzec said the SA needs to have a referendum to find out what students think, but Sen. Eric Lynch said the SA should not even discuss rescinding the funds because students did not bring their views to the SA meeting.

“I’m a student; I pay fees and I’m here,” Hatcher loudly responded.