Dance concert to offer variety

By Paul Kirk

The Orchesis Spring Dance Concert will feature a variety of dances, and styles will range from modern, folk, social, tap, and jazz.

The concert is sponsored by the physical education department and the dance department of NIU on April 11, 12, and 13 at 8 p.m. in Anderson Hall Room 105.

“We will have a latino merenge, two african numbers, tap numbers, mexican, jazz, and modern music—a little of everything,” said Danielle Jay, associate professor of dance and physical education.

Orchesis, once known as NIU Company Dancers, is a performing dance group sponsored by the physical education department.

The group is advised by Jay and Janet Berkes, instructors of dance and physical education.

Three dance works by Jay are included in the concert: “La Croix,” “Ibo” and “El Jarabe Tapitio.”

Jay pointed out that most of the works were choreographed by students, however.

“All choreography is done by students with faculty supervision,” she said.

The group’s name was changed to Orchesis after several years as Company Dancers of NIU, she said.

The group has met Tuesdays and Thursdays through the entire year practicing in preparation for the show. The Orchesis group is made up of dancers from every level of ability, she said.

“Orchesis is made up of people with an interest in dance but who have other majors, and people who have a major emphasis in dance,” she said. “It’s for anyone with any level of ability.”

The Latino dance group Dance Quente will be guest performers this year at the Orchesis concert. Dance Quente, coordinated by Gloria Juarez, was created to perform Latino dances for Hispanic Month.

The Latino group was then invited to perform in Orchesis by Jay who also advises Dance Quente.

Dance Quente last performed in the Martin Luther King Commons on April 1. Juarez said at that time that they were looking forward to performing in Orchesis and that they were grateful for the invitation.

“Orchesis is for people who just want to dance and love to dance,” Jay said.

The Orchesis spring dance will be accessible to the disabled. A fee of $2.50 for students, children, and senior citizens and $3.50 for adults is appreciated by the company.