GLU campaigns against military bias

By Laura Nowak

NIU students who are opposed to military discrimination against homosexuals can participate in a letter-writing campaign and demonstration.

Special Interest Adviser Theresa Brown said the Gay/Lesbian Union began a letter-writing campaign April 10. The campaign will continue until next week.

The effort is part of National Day of Action, a national campus event designed to protest current Defense Department policies barring homosexuals from military service and scholarships, Brown said.

The letters are intended to encourage the Reserve Officers Training Corps to change their policy regarding homosexuals, Brown said.

If they don’t change their policy, Brown said, they should leave campus. However, she said she much prefers the former alternative.

“I don’t want the ROTC kicked off campus,” Brown said, “but they need to change their policy.”

Students who participate in the campaign can either sign one of two pre-typed letters or write their own letter.

Participants also can choose who they write to, including President Bush, Secretary of Defense Richard Cheney, NIU President John La Tourette and NIU ROTC Director Terry Fielden.

Brown said she recommends students write to Cheney because as defense secretary, Cheney has a major influence on ROTC policy. She also said handwritten letters are more effective.

On April 17, the GLU will hold a demonstration in the Martin Luther King Jr. Memorial Commons from 12 p.m. until 2 p.m., Brown said.

Brown said the demonstration, formerly planned for April 10, will aim at creating awareness and encouraging the ROTC to amend its discrimination policy.

There will be speakers at the demonstration as well as an open mike to allow others to speak, Brown said.

The letters will be mailed out following the demonstration.

The NIU University Council passed a resolution last year warning the ROTC to open its programs and scholarships to homosexuals before March 1992, or the UC will move to eliminate ROTC programs at NIU. Students already in the ROTC program would then be allowed to continue in it for another year, Brown said.

GLU member Sonya Wiley said two years is a long time for NIU to allow discrimination to exist.

The GLU will host a wine and cheese party Friday at 9:30 p.m. for GLU members who want to contribute to the letter campaign, Brown said. Call 753-0584 for the location.