GLU to sponsor awareness week

By Laura Nowak

“Stamp out Homophobia” is the theme of this year’s Gay/Lesbian Awareness Week.

Events of the week, which includes Jeans Day, will run from April 1 until April 5. David Huggins, co-president of the Gay/Lesbian Union, said the goal of Gay/Lesbian Awareness Week is to stamp out homophobia through education.

During the week the Counseling and Student Development Center will sponsor daily brown bag lunch talks at the University Resources for Women building from noon until 1 p.m.

The Cine Club will sponsor a series of films during the week.

The series will kick off on Monday with “Desert Hearts,” at 8:45 p.m. in Cole 101. The film, directed by Diana Deitch, tells of a college professor who discovers her own homosexuality while pursuing a divorce.

Tuesday there will be a panel discussion at 8 p.m. in the Lincoln Hall Glass room. The topic will be announced at a later time, Huggins said.

Wednesday, the GLU will hold Jeans Day. GLU co-president Jennifer, last name withheld on request, said the focus of the day is for people to wear jeans to show their support of basic human rights.

“We’re not trying to make people feel uncomfortable,” she said. “Gay people deserve basic human rights.”

There will also be an open house on Wednesday from 1 p.m. until 4 p.m. The open house will provide faculty and students with the opportunity to come in and meet members of the GLU, Huggins said.

On Thursday “Maedchen in Uniform,” a German film with English subtitles, will be shown in Cole 101 at 8:45. A member of the GLU said the 1931 film was once suppressed by the German government.

“Come Out and Fight” will also be shown Thursday at 4 p.m. in Watson 110. The documentary about the Reserve Officers Training Corps was made by NIU communications students, Huggins said.

On Friday “Maurice” will be shown at 7:30 p.m. in Cole 101. This film is the story of a British man coming to terms with his homosexuality in the 1910s.

The week will wrap up with a “wear your high tops” dance Friday at 9:30 p.m.

Huggins said they are aiming to make heterosexuals comfortable with homosexuals. Huggins said the GLU also hopes to make homosexuals at NIU more comfortable.