NIU to host nursing day

By Amy Julian

The profession of nursing will be looked at in-depth at Monday’s “Ninth Annual Nursing Research Day: Nursing Scholars in Action.”

NIU will host the daylong seminar at the Holmes Student Center’s Capitol Room and Duke Ellington Ballroom. The program is being sponsored by the NIU’s School of Nursing Research Committee, the Graduate Colloquium Committee and the Beta Omega Chapter of Sigma Theta Tau.

egistered nurses, who must receive continuing education credits throughout their careers, will receive 6.6 hours of credit from the Illinois Nurses’ Association, said.

“It will be a big day for Northern students,” Rane-Szostak said.

The registration fee for Sigma Theta Tau members, NIU graduate students, NIU alumnus, and employees of any agency affiliated with the NIU School of Nursing is $25. The regular fee is $40.

The fee will cover the luncheon, Rane-Szostak said. NIU undergraduates, who will not receive credits or lunch, can come for free, she said.

Victoria Lee Champion, a professor and the assistant chair at the Indiana University School of Nursing, Bloomington, will provide the keynote speech.

“She’ll give practical tips for nurses to develop a program of research in any type of nursing,” Rane-Szostak said.

Other speeches throughout the day will cover nursing education and practices, aging, ethics and clinical programs.

Posters concerning all fields of nursing will be presented at the lunch in the Duke Ellington Ballroom between 12 p.m. and 1:30 p.m.

After the seminar, Victoria Lee Champion will discuss her research in breast cancer detection behaviors in women 35 and over. Her speech is a free Graduate Colloquium lecture to be held from 3:30 p.m. to 5 p.m. in the HSC Hunt Room.

“We expect between 150-200 people,” Rane-Szostak said. For more information call the School of Nursing at 753-1232.