NIU to review ideas for volunteer program

By Tricia Roegner

NIU is now working on ideas for a new state-mandated student volunteer program to begin this fall at all public colleges and universities in Illinois.

A 15-member task force from NIU will determine how the university will encourage participation in a Student Volunteer Corps program required by the state. The group has prepared a report describing NIU’s present volunteer efforts.

The group is co-chaired by Don Buckner, associate vice president for student affairs, and Z. Ahmad, program coordinator in the office of programming and activities.

“NIU has always had an impressive record of volunteerism by students,” said Buckner,”but this law will increase the level of participation and give the students a greater opportunity to do something for the community.”

The law requires Illinois colleges and universities to create a volunteer corps to improve the quality of life for the community.

The law states all full-time undergraduates will be “strongly encouraged and expected, although not required, to participate in the SVC by providing an average of 30 hours community service in each academic year.”

The law defines community service as “work or service performed by the student either voluntarily or for some form of academic credit through nonprofit, governmental and community-based organizations, or schools.”

The law leaves it up to each campus to determine how they will encourage and monitor the amount of participation in their university.

Recent examples of NIU’s volunteerism include the “skip-a-meal” program, blood drives, and the NIU recycling center, which recycled 374 tons of material last year.

“The task force is now interested in how the students would like to volunteer and how they would like to be recognized for their volunteerism,” Ahmad said.