Student groups gaining ground

By Amy Julian

Student environmentalists have been winning small victories in their quest to get more trees onto the NIU campus.

James Harder, vice president of Business and Operations, agreed Feb. 12 to notify the environmental groups in writing before any trees on the DeKalb campus are cut down. Harder described the decision as an “interim operational practice.”

“Until there are a larger number of students on the Campus Environmental Committee, I am willing to work with the students who have come to me,” Harder said.

The controversy began when 10 black willow trees were cut down from the East Lagoon during semester break.

After the cutting, members of the environmental group Earth First sent a letter to Harder asking that three trees be planted for each one cut and for the environmental groups to be notified before other trees were cut.

They also asked the University Council to have a member from each campus environmental group on the environmental committee with voting power.

Besides agreeing to notify the students, Harder has asked the UC to consider “increasing the membership on the University Campus Environmental Committee to include a broader representation for students.”

He said he doesn’t know how many trees will be going up in the lagoon yet, though.

“First I have requested that the physical plant come up with a planting plan,” Harder said. Then it will be up to the environmental committee to decide the number and type of trees that will go up at the lagoon, he said.

“I’m guided by the wishes and desires of the committee,” he said.

Earth First representative Brad Fish is happy with the progress that is being made.

“It was a victory,” Fish said. “We’re working with a biology professor (Paul Sorenson) to make it look good in the future,” he said.

“I was sorry to see the willows go,” Sorenson said. “It still has not been adequately explained as to why they were cut down,” he said.

Sorenson, the designer of NIU’s Ecological Park, said he has several ideas about how new trees could be added to the lagoon.

“I’m happy to help out anywhere I can,” he said. Sorenson said there are a variety of species that would be good for the lagoon and would increase the educational opportunities of the area.

“We need to look forward instead of backward,” Harder said. He said he wants what is desirable for the campus.

“I’m optimistic that the interest the students have expressed is real,” he said. Their intent seems to be to work with the committee and influence the campus positively, he said.