Upset student dismissed

By Mark McGowan

A student who threatened to kill a University Police officer with a knife in Stevenson Towers North early Sunday morning was given a medical withdrawal from NIU.

According to UP reports, the student was “violent and intoxicated” and had barricaded himself in his room. Other students on the floor told police they heard sounds of “extensive damage” coming from the room, said UP Sgt. Ralph Taylor.

The student apparently was upset about the possibility of one of his brothers going to Saudi Arabia, Taylor said. The brother currently is stationed in Louisiana, he said.

After attempts by UPs to talk the student out of the room, they entered and found him in the back of the room with a folding-type knife, which was pointed at police, Taylor said.

When the student threatened to kill an officer, police retreated, he said.

Taylor said the student then was allowed to talk with his mother and an older brother, who also is an NIU student.

The student has been arrested by UPs and charged with unlawful possession of a weapon. He will appear in a DeKalb County court March 15.

Taylor said there is nothing in UP reports to indicate that the student was suicidal.

However, University Judicial Officer Larry Bolles said the student has been temporarily removed from campus. The student will not be able to return to NIU until he receives long-term counseling and can show psychiatric documents proving he is of sound mind and body, he said.

The student also must have these documents double-checked by NIU counselors and convince Bolles he is not a threat to campus safety in order to return, Bolles said.

“We have to make sure students are safe and have nothing to fear,” Bolles said.

Bolles is meeting with the student and perhaps a relative today, he said.

Jack Felver, assistant director of housing, said he cannot comment on the case but said the matter was sent through appropriate channels.

Jim Rooney, area coordinator for Stevenson Towers, said he could not comment on the incident because the judicial report about the case is confidential.