Candidates unopposed

By Rebecca Bahr

Two of the three top Student Association positions will only have one candidate each in the upcoming elections.

Vice president candidate John Quilico and treasurer candidate Joseph Kolerich face no competition in their spring election campaigns.

“It is unfortunate that we will not see the vigorous exchange of ideas that comes out of a good election,” SA President Rob McCormack said.

“I have been on the inside of a lot of internal issues (with the SA),” Quilico said. Quilico said he has seen the cause and effects of a number of issues in the senate and has worked closely with student organizations as the SA advertising adviser this year.

Kolerich, a transfer student from Brigham Young University-Hawaii in Laie, Oahu, said he brings a great deal of experience to the treasurer position. Kolerich is a computer science and finance major and has served on the SA finance ommittee.

Although he had planned on running a full campaign, Kolerich said he will still meet with campus organizations to discuss his qualifications and plans for next year.

Two senate members, Senate Speaker Preston Came and Sen. Kelly Marie McDonald are officially in the race for president.

McCormack, the current president, said he will not run for a second term.

McCormack said he will continue to be involved in the SA, but is not certain what office, if any, he will hold.

“There are a number of other things I want to be involved in next year,” McCormack said.

McCormack said he will help the new president get acquainted with university officials and procedures.