NIU looks for new housing director

By Mark McGowan

NIU’s search to find a new housing director will intensify next week when the pool of candidates for the position begin an interview process.

Donald Buckner, associate vice president of Student Affairs as well as former housing director, has juggled the two positions for nearly two years while also spearheading the search committee.

Buckner has been involved in housing policy issues and has the final say in many important matters. Day-to-day operations, however, are handled by John Felver, a 17-year associate director of housing now bidding for Buckner’s old job.

“You just can’t give leadership to two areas efficiently. It can’t continue,” Buckner said. “It’s been like a holding operation” since he began working both offices, he said.

However, Buckner said he is complimentary of the housing staff, which he said has been patient in the interim.

Other candidates are Willard Draper and Linda Tillis, NIU’s assistant directors of housing, Chika Nnamani, associate director of residence life at Illinois State University in Normal and Carl Jardine, director of residence life at the University of Wisconsin at Whitewater.

The five applicants were trimmed from an original list of about 30, Buckner said.

Tillis has held her position since 1981 while Draper began his in 1984. Nnamani began his job in 1989 and Jardine started in 1985.

Each will go through a two-day assessment, which includes meetings with the 11-member search committee and open meetings for student questions. The student meetings are from 10 to 10:45 a.m. on Feb. 19, 21, 26, 28 and March 5.

Buckner said there is no clear-cut leader in the search. “It’s a very strong pool. Everyone has an equal choice,” he said. “We’re looking for people who can give creative leadership.”

A key qualification for the candidates was central office administration experience. Candidates also must be able to intermingle the two aspects of residence hall management—the landlord and student life and education roles—creatively.

Other things the committee will look for are new ideas about student life, fiscal management, areas for improvement, supervisory style and relationship abilities with other offices.

The search began in late September or early October, Buckner said. He said he expects a candidate to be named within a few weeks of the final interview in early March.

The chosen person will assume the office April 1.