Speaker urges black business expansion

By Amy Julian

The challenge of the 1990s for black people is economic justice, said Rev. Tyrone Crider to about 60 people Friday night.

Crider, executive director of Chicago-based Operation PUSH, spoke for about 30 minutes in the Holmes Student Center’s Duke Ellington Ballroom.

“I hope my speech helps you to see why we need more of you to go into business,” Crider said.

Blacks had to fight first for individual justice, second for social justice and third for political justice, he said.

But now that those things have been achieved, he asked, “What does it matter if you can go anywhere but can’t pay?”

“When you start your own business, you help the community you come from,” he said. “You should seek to become whatever the community needs more of.”

Crider listed three steps for young black people to take now.

First, he said, “never be ashamed of who you are.” Race shouldn’t determine anyone’s ability, nor deter anyone’s opportunity, he said.

“Genius is on every side of town,” he said. “For every Donahue, there is an Oprah.”

Second, he said students need to get serious about education and earn their degrees.

“Students say they want to be mathematicians, but when it’s time for the test, they count on somebody else,” he said.

Third, he said the mentality of black Americans needs to be changed. While parents used to tell children to “go to church, go to college and get a job,” in the 90s, children should be told to “go to church, go to college and start your own business.”

He advised people to balance academic excellence with social responsibility.

Crider was met with applause when he emphasized his points with humor and quotes from popular songs.

“Which is more important, rapping or reading?” he asked, later telling the audience he believes reading is better.

Crider, who is a member of Alpha Phi Alpha, has been cited by Dollars and Sense Magazine as one of the “Outstanding Men of America.” He also contributed to Jesse Jackson’s bid for the 1984 presidency.

Alpha Phi Alpha and the Organization of Black Business Students sponsored the event, which was part of the Black Heritage Month activities.