Census shows increase

By Michelle Landrum

NIU students living in DeKalb contributed more than $1 million to the city’s coffers in 1990 through state revenues distributed by population figures.

The final census figures for DeKalb are in, showing that the population has grown by 1,768 residents since 1980. The new count is 34,925, up from 33,157 in 1980—a 5.3 percent increase.

Of that total number, about 13,700 are NIU students who live either on or off campus in DeKalb, according to NIU’s Office of Institutional Research.

Earlier this year, the U.S. Census Bureau originally came out with a count of 33,899, but the city challenged the count because nearly 1,000 students living in Stevenson North were not counted.

“I would say (the population increase) is coming from permanent residents because the university’s enrollment has remained relatively static,” said City Planner Jim Hogue.

For the city, each resident represents an additional $50 in state income tax revenues and about $30 from the state motor fuel tax fund, he said. The motor fuel tax funds are divided up according to the cities’ populations from an account filled with gasoline tax revenues.

Consequently, the 13,700 students included in the census generate about $1,096,000 for the city.

According to the DeKalb Focus, a newsletter published by the city of DeKalb, the lowest population count since 1980 was 31,533 in 1984-85, a full 10.8 percent below the current count.