Council considers snow removal options

By Michelle Landrum

The city may begin ticketing property owners who fail to shovel snow and remove ice from their walks.

After hearing complaints about unshovelled sidewalks from three 5th Ward residents at the last city council meeting, the council members Monday night heard snow removal options from Bill Nicklas, DeKalb building and community services director.

The 5th Ward includes property along West Locust, John and Harrison streets and Augusta and College avenues where students often rent apartments.

The residents complained that unshovelled walks made walking dangerous for many of the students who walk to campus, and they often walk in the street to avoid the snowy walks.

Nicklas cited a July 1987 property maintenance ordinance that would allow the city to ticket property owners who fail to clear their walks of snow and ice within 36 hours after a two-inch snowfall.

The council will consider the action at its next meeting, Feb. 11.

Nicklas said landlords are responsible for clearing the walks unless the landlord and tenant have some other kind of agreement making the tenant responsible.

Before ticketing property owners, “we’d try to make personal contact first and try to let them know what’s coming,” Nicklas said.

The ticketing system would target areas considered pedestrian safety routes frequented by shoppers, students, elderly or handicapped people.

Some of these routes include West and East Lincoln Highway sidewalks from First Street to Stadium Drive, Russell Road sidewalks from Lucinda Avenue north to Greenbrier Road and Normal Road.