Gymnasts prepare for Classic

By Jennifer Hutchins

“Be there or be square.” That’s the message Head Women’s Gymnastic Coach Bobbie Cesarek has been stressing to NIU fans, in reference to the upcoming quadrangular meet hosted by NIU.

The Huskies will be holding the Mississippi Valley Gymnastic Classic at 1 p.m. Sunday at Chick Evans Field House. University of Illinois at Chicago, Southeast Missouri State and Valparaiso University will be competing against NIU for the No.1 crown.

According to Cesarek, Valparaiso and UIC have not had very strong teams in the past. For that reason, NIU is concentrating on SEMS.

“(SEMS) was second in the nation (Div. II) last season and recently scored in their first meet as well as we did in our first,” Cesarek said. “It should be an exciting but tough competition between the two of us.”

The Huskies certainly have experience on their side. Martha Unger and Vicki Thimgan, both of whom competed last season in the NCAA Central Regional as individuals, look to make a return trip, but as a team. NIU went 13-7 last year, but was unable to receive a team invitation to post-season competition.

Thimgan was named MVP as a freshman and posted the Huskies’ top all-around average with a 36.93, including the school record of 37.85. She also shares the NIU vault standard with a 9.65. Unger, who boasts the uneven parallel bars mark of 9.70 hopes to wrap up an outstanding four-year career with a fourth post-season appearance.

Other key returnees include record-holders Lori Lebo and Laurie Vitallo. Lebo shares the vault mark and holds the balance-beam record with a 9.70. Vitallo’s own 9.70 for floor excercise is NIU’s best.

Rounding out the returning letterwinners are Sandy Escobar, Cindy Hemstad, and Dawn Spickelmier.

Cesarek is quick to point out the importance of the younger gymnasts on the team, particularly the freshmen, and is excited about the return of freshman Dayna Lia. Lia will be performing on the vault for the first time since she sprained her ankle early in the season. Lia’s return is a highlight to the meet as she is expected to become a three-four event performer.

“The increase in freshman has added nice depth to the team as well as talent and skill,” Cesarek said. “And the influence on them by the older girls is positive for the whole team.”

But with so much going for the team, Cesarek still feels the team needs more fan support to have a truly successful season.

“We’re really hoping to attract a good crowd for the meet Sunday,” Cesarek said. “With only five home meets, the support is really important to the team.”