Commons warranty will not last foreverby

By Beth Behland

Just like the toaster Mom got you for Christmas, NIU comes with a limited warranty.

Only two months after the prolonged completion of the King Memorial Commons, the smooth-topped cement is crumbling away beneath the feet of anyone who crosses.

But not to worry. The company contracted out by the Illinois Capital Development Board will cover the cost repair – or at least that’s what everyone but the contractor is willing to say.

NIU can’t take the full blame for this mishap considering the administration has no say in selecting a contractor. The work is opened for bid through CDB, and the company that offers the best deal while still meeting specifications gets the job.

NIU’s slate isn’t completely clean, however.

Despite the administration’s lack of control in the selection process, they certainly could do a little more to keep track of what is going on and why.

Although nearly every student who has strolled through the commons has noticed for themselves the cement is crunching right under their feet, NIU has little to say about it.

Commons project manager Patricia Perkins, who is assistant to the NIU Vice President of Finance and Planning, only was able to confirm what students who have been in the commons already know. She recognizes that the sidewalks are deteriorating, but doesn’t know why.

President John La Tourette said he was told the problem was probably too wet of a mix, or it was too hot to be poured.

CDB knows of the problem too and has contacted Alliance Contractors in Woodstock to notify them about the failure, which should fall under the one-year warranty.

So once again barriers will go up, and students will take the long haul around the Holmes Student Center when walking to class.

Let’s hope not too many people will have reason to speak freely in the free-speech area until the renovations of the renovations are complete.

But assuming all goes well and the project is completed quickly without causing too much hassle for the campus, what happens after the year of insurance has expired?

Hopefully, the contractors who are known to have an impeccable reputation will find the error of their ways and the commons won’t end up like most cars and major appliances and crumble the day after the warranty expires.

Knowing NIU’s luck the rehash shouldn’t be considered failsafe.

After all, the project would have been finished much sooner if it wasn’t delayed by the recladding of the seemingly cursed student center.

In addition, the common’s project was then supposed to be finished by the fall semester but the summer’s weather and a small strike pushed that deadline further back.

Hopefully NIU will be able to take a better look into the project to at least understand more fully the details behind it to help ensure that future projects work the first time around.