New SA policy states concern for troops

By Rebecca Bahr

The Student Association squared off Sunday while attempting to pass a resolution in support of U.S. troops in the Persian Gulf.

Views altered between anti-Bush sentiments, statements of neutral support for U.S. troops and questions to whether the war issue should even be debated by the senate.

After lengthy arguements over the wording of a resolution proposed by Senate Speaker Preston Came, a revised resolution was passed which does not give support of any military policy, but rather states a show of concern for the lives of American troops.

It reads, “We give our support to the men and women who are serving in the Middle East. We hope this war will be over quickly and decisively and that all of our brothers and sisters can come home safely.”

But Sen. Matt Wetstein proposed a resolution which would clearly oppose the war. Wetstein said he could not agree to any statement in favor of President Bush in any way.

“To say we support the President is to say we support a policy which has led us to a war which will result in the loss of thousands of troops,” he said.

Wetstein’s motion failed 9-8 with two abstentions. However, Wetstein later suggested the SA send a copy of the resolution to the family of former SA Sen. Daryl Jones, who resigned his position when he was called to active duty in August.

“We stand in respect of NIU community members who are serving in the U.S. military, as well as their families,” said NIU Student Regent James Mertes.

In other business, SA budget approvals Sunday were:

CAB Public Relations – requested: $2,015, approved: $1,275

CAB Coffee House – requested: $18,798, approved: $17,940

Ice Hockey Club – requested: $10,181, approved: $9,078

CAB Homecoming – requested: $7,677, approved: $6285

Student Environmental Action Coalition – requested: $241, approved: $198

Music Performance Activities – requested: $14, 538, approved: $10,891

Residence Hall Association – requested: $14,015, approved: $13,246

Interfraternity Council/Panhellenic – requested: $6,122, approved: $3,579

Mainland Chinese Student Association – requested: $2,244, approved: $665