Council boasts full agenda for meeting

By Dawn Panka

NIU students trying to fulfill the constitution requirement for teacher certification might have alternative ways of doing so if the University Council approves them.

Currently, education students have to take a constitution test to be certified, but a proposal from the Undergraduate Coordinating Council would allow the students to take Political Science 100 instead, said University Council Executive Secretary J. Carroll Moody.

The proposal also would give students the option of taking a proficiency exam for Political Science 100, with passing being an equivalent to the constitution exam, Moody said.

These recommendations will be sent to the University Council Committee A—which deals with academic affairs—at the Wednesday meeting of the University Council, he said.

Also facing the council is a question of authority over the admissions policy for the Education Special Programs which covers such programs as CHANCE, Moody said.

“The question remains if the Special Programs can determine their own requirements or if their requirements are subject to regular faculty admission review,” Moody said.

The council also will review a request by the Dean of the Graduate School to have a representative from the graduate school appointed to the College of Continuing Education Advisory Council, Moody said.

The council also will hear a report recommending changes in the composition and method of selecting members to the University Judicial Hearing Board, Moody said.

Moody, who also is the Faculty Senate president, said the Faculty Senate will hold its next meeting on Jan. 9.

The Faculty Senate relates faculty concerns to the University Council, which advises the Board of Regents, NIU’s governing body.

The senate recently finished its first semester of existence at NIU, Moody said.

“It was brand-new and no one knew what to expect,” Moody said. “But on the whole I feel the Faculty Senate has gotten off to a good start,” he said.

“Everything points toward the senate becoming an important voice for the faculty.”

“The controversy over the College of Continuing Education was very important; no matter how one thinks the structure should be, the Faculty Senate raised the point the faculty should be consulted in such matters,” Moody said.

The adoption of a resolution on artistic freedom and expression was another accomplishment of the senate this fall, Moody said.

“This resolution recognized that those people involved in the arts have as much claim to recognition as those people teaching English, history, or political science,” he said.

Moody also said although no one could specifically point to a long list of accomplishments, the direction the senate has taken makes him optimistic about how the faculty voice will be heard within the university.