OCR to sponsor backpacking trip

By Amy Julian

Some NIU students who are struggling through the last days of the semester are looking forward to a special vacation.

Sixteen students are going backpacking in the Grand Canyon with NIU’s Office of Campus Recreation. The trip, which runs from Dec. 27 through Jan. 11, costs $190 for students and $237.50 for non-students.

“It’s a chance for people to see another part of our country,” said Melanie Wulf, a trip leader and graduate assistant for the OCR Outdoors program. It’s also a chance to meet other students while taking a break from classes, Wulf said.

The trip will include three days of backpacking in the Superstition Mountains in Apache Junction, Ariz., and six days in the Grand Canyon. Before returning to NIU, students will travel to Arizona’s Petrified Forest and Painted Desert National Park.

Students can bring their own camping gear, but the OCR can provide everything, Wulf said.

“It’s all for novices,” said Ashley Sweda, Coordinator of the OCR Outdoor program. Sweda said the program has grown this year and has been praised by other universities for its diversity.

Besides sponsoring the trip to the canyon, the outdoor program can organize other trips for organizations, Sweda said. An NIU faculty and staff ski trip is planned for Dec. 27 through Jan. 2 in Michigan.

The OCR also rents outdoor equipment to all students, he said.

Since there is room for eight more students to go to the Grand Canyon, those interested should stop by the OCR as soon as possible, Wulf said.