Tuition debate is a waste

University officials are bickering, and the end result could mean more dollars paid by students.

Currently, Illiniois universities have a guideline, seldom followed, to make students’ tuition cost equal one-third the cost of education.

This was the basis for a recent debate in Springfield among officials at the University of Illinis in Champaign-Urbana, members of the University Professionals in Illinois, the Illinis Student Association and a few students.

U of I officials think they should be allowed to be more flexible with tuition costs – setting tuition costs ranging from 30 to 50 percent of education, whatever the university deems is needed.

UPI President Mitch Vogel said tuition should increase at the rate of state funding. Some students’ claimed any more increases beyond the 30 percent guideline will keep students from attending the universities.

Meanwhile, more power to the ISA for fighting to decrease the 30 percent guideline.

In 1989, tuition costs were $1,589 at NIU and $2,255 at U of I. A third of the education costs that same year were $1,234 and $1,363, respectively.

The debate is futile because the guideline is not followed as it is and the final say belongs to the General Assembly, anyway.

However, at least threre is a guideline. Without it, U of I would have no qualms about increasing tuition costs to 50 percent of education costs, as they have proven by asking for increased tuition flexibility.

And although U of I is not NIU, once one university cries for the right to take more student money, others are sure to follow in its footsteps.