New military science appointment made

By Ed Kuhs

Lt. Col. Terry Fielden was appointed chair of NIU’s military science department in the College of Professional Studies.

James Lankford, acting dean of the College of Professional Studies, said the position serves a dual role in having obligations to both NIU and the U.S. Army.

The person holding the chir is responsible for the coordination of courses within the military science department, Lankford said. The position also carries the responsibility of overseeing personnel actions. This includes recommendations for rank changes of Army-affiliated NIU faculty members, he said.

Fielden said another one of his duties is to prepare interested students for military service after graduation. Eligibility hinges on the student’s meeting of U.S. Department of Defense regulations, he said.

Fielden said he also hopes to clear up a common misconception many students have about the department. “The department is like any other department in the university. It provides military instruction to any student who wants it,” he said. He added ay student can pursue a minor in military science if it complies with the regulations of the student’s major department.

Fielden has an extensive background of military experience. He served as an artilleryman during the Vietmnam era, a battalion operations officer and battalion executive officer and brig liason officer in Germany. He was also comptroller for an independent military intelligence group in Maryland and a force plans officer for the U.S. Commander-in-Chief in Hawaii.

Fielden said he will provide military instruction and act as a role-model to NIU military science students. “With my seasoned military career, the more capable I’ll be to provide the instruction and mentorship to students that is necessary,” he said.

He has also received many numerous honorary decorations. he holds the Bronze Star Medal for Valor, the Bronze Star Medal, the Purple Heart, the Defense Meritorious Service Medal, the Army Meritorious Service Medal and the Army Commendation Medal.

Lankford said he is looking forward to working with Fielden. “He is an excellent chair and army officer. He has very good working ability with students and faculty,” he said.

Lankford said the position opened with the retirement of former chairman Col. Ken Reeves. Though Fielden officially was appointed to the position in August, Reeves did not officially retire until Oct. 31. Fielden sad he immediatley assumed the responsibilities of the chair, while Reeves took on a “terminal leave status” and continued to work in the department by assisting and advising students and training Fielden for the chair position.