Newcomers keep future promising

By Jennifer Hutchins

A group of newcomers to the NIU women’s basketball team is proving to be the building blocks of the Huskies’ future.

Having started from the ground up, the players have already built a sturdy foundation and continue to grow.

Perhaps more importantly, however, is the ability of the young Huskies to uphold the past.

With the loss of three record-holding starters who led the Huskies to NIU’s best season ever (26-5) and a trip to the second round of the NCAA tournament, the team has been left with some very big shoes to fill.

Head basketball coach, Jane Albright, will be looking to Angela Lockett and Soyini Chism, both freshmen, and sophomores Debbie Teske and Cindy Connor to fill in some of that void under the guidance of her veteran players.

“We expect the three seniors (Lisa Foss, Denise Dove, and Toby Meeks) to be the nucleus of the team and use their leadership and skills to help out the younger members,” Albright said.

“The younger players are all really hard workers, and I’ve been very pleased with what they’ve been doing so far.”

Although new to the team, none lack in experience or talent. Conner, a 6-1 forward, was one of the top-20 players in the nation coming out of Chicago’s Whitney Young High School. She was forced to sit out last season, however, due to the NCAA Proposition 48 rule.

“Cindy has really come back strong and is the most versatile player we have as far as her ability to play inside and outside,” Albright said. “She’s extremely creative and is the most coachable player I’ve ever dealt with. She is definitely a positive addition to our team.”

Other key additions to the Huskies are Teske and Lockett. Teske, 5-10, is the biggest guard Albright has ever had on the team. Her on-target shooting is lethal and will be a big boost in the bid for the Huskies to repeat as the NCAA scoring leader at 94.5 ppg. Lockett, a 6-0 forward, relies more on her quickness to get the job done.

“She (Lockett) has a great deal of explosiveness and is extremely quick,” Albright said. “She always gives 110 percent and is a real exciting offensive player for the team.”

Rounding out the newcomers is Chism, who was a medical redshirt last season due to a complete reconstruction of her knee.

The 6-0 center is still struggling to regain strength and movement, but a knee brace has made the recovery more difficult because it inhibits her movement.

“Her strength isn’t completely there yet, but Soyini is a real hard worker and we expect her to play just fine,” Albright said. “Right now she is trying to adjust to a post position after playing guard in high school, and she’s really doing well.”

Also noteable is the return of junior Dianna Wingis who has not played for the Huskies since her freshman year. The 6-3 forward is the tallest player on the roster and plays both a solid offensive and defensive game.

According to Albright, Wingis is a crucial element in replacing the 1990 MVPs Carol Owens and Tammy Hinchee.

But not everything has worked out so smoothly for the Huskies. Another victim of Prop. 48 is freshman Yconda “E.C.” Hill. Hill was the No. 2 high school prospect in the nation at the end of last season and was on Street and Smith’s list of First-Team All Americas, as well as the Chicago Tribune’s prep basketball Player of the Year.

But since Hill did not make NCAA requirements on the ACT, she will not be allowed to participate in practices or games and cannot travel with the team. At home games, she will have to sit behind the bench.

The team still hasn’t let the disappointment get them down and have kept E.C. as involved as possible. Right now they’ve got their eyes set on the season ahead.

But do the younger members of the team feel any additional pressure to repeat NIU’s success?

Not according to Lockett. “Coach (Albright) stresses that we’re a team as a whole, not individual groups, so everyone is encouraging and doesn’t pay attention to who is a freshmen and who is a sophomore. We all want to go to the NCAA tournament.”