Voting strong in county

By Mark McGowan

Voter turnout in DeKalb County probably outshined numbers from other counties throughout the state, even though student turnout was relatively low.

Sixty-four percent of the county’s 33,510 registered voters went to the polls Tuesday, a rise of 5 percent from a similar election four years ago, said outgoing County Clerk Terry Desmond.

“It’s terrific,” Desmond said, adding he is pleased so many of the registered voters cast ballots. “I’m sure we’ll surpass the statewide average.”

High interest in the race for State Senate between incumbent Sen. Patrick Welch, D-Peru, and Republican challenger Nancy Beasley, brought many people to the voting booths, said County Clerk-elect Sharon Holmes, adding multi-sided races bring out more voters.

Desmond said the 64 percent turnout figure is skewed, however, by relatively low voting in the NIU area. While there was a considerable rise in the number of registered student voters, few exercised the right to vote, he said.

“I’m surprised,” Desmond said. “I thought (students) would participate in larger numbers.”

Turnout figures in student-heavy precincts ranged from a low of 26 percent in Grant Towers North to a high of 63 percent at the Newman Catholic Center, 512 Normal Road. The lowest number of registered students was 75 in Lincoln Hall; however, 46 of them voted and boosted the precinct’s turnout to 61 percent.

In other NIU area precincts, 135 of Douglas Hall’s 218 registered voters cast ballots, 118 of precinct eight’s 347 registered voters—who voted at the Holmes Student Center—cast ballots and 188 of Stevenson Towers North’s 475 registered voters cast ballots.

The sagging students’ statistics also surprised Holmes. “I’ve never seen Lincoln so low,” she said.

Still, Holmes said the numbers are “good” for student precincts. She said the hearty registration drives during the outset of the semester excited many students to register and continued encouragement brought several to the polls.