U of I votes to retain Chief Illiniwek

By Rebecca Bahr

The yearlong debate over University of Illinois symbol, Chief Illiniwek, was resolved last week with an almost unanimous vote to keep the Chief.

University of Illinois board of trustees last week voted 7-1 to retain the 63-year-old tradition after hearing testimony from opponents. Chief Illiniwek performs a symbolic dance during halftime at football games, wearing regalia from the Oglala Sioux tribe.

U of I Trustee Gloria Bacon of Chicago voted against keeping the mascot. Bacon told reporters “the Chief’s days are numbered.” Two student trustees also cast advisory votes against the Chief.

Judith Caulder of Glencoe abstained from the vote. Caulder, who was in favor of keeping the Chief before hearing testimony from opponents last week, said she needs more time to look into the issue before voting.

“This controversy is not isolated to Illinois,” said NIU Assistant Athletic Director Tommy Bell. “Over the past 20 years, many schools across the nation have been asked to change their mascot.”

Among the schools who have changed their symbols because of petitioning by Native American rights groups are Stanford and Syracuse universities, Bell said. Several others have addressed the issue, but, like U of I, voted to keep their symbols.

“As the U of I symbol, Chief Illiniwek represents the region historically, ” Bell said. “It shows tradition for the state as well as for the university.”

NIU student Jennifer Meness is trying to establish a Native American rights group on campus.

“I don’t find the Chief’s performance offensive as long as it is dignified,” she said. “The chief just serves as more of a reminder to the public.”

The image of Chief Illiniwek has undergone changes since the question over his caricature arose last fall. U of I now discourages students from donning war face-paint for Illini football games and it is exercising tighter control over Indian merchandise sold on campus.